The Best of Lake Minnetonka Since 1996!

Long Lake

Settlers arrived in Long Lake in 1855. They coexisted peacefully with the Chippewa indians until the early 1860s.

Although, due to better roads greater numbers of people were discovering this attractive outpost on the northern shore of Lake Minnetonka, it remained a sleepy village, populated by farmers, trappers and loggers for its first two decades.

The area really began to grow when James J. Hill’s Great Northern Railroad connected Long Lake with Minneapolis in the late 1860s. A meeting hall and a sawmill were erected, and boarding houses and restaurants sprung up to accommodate the many summer visitors from the Twin Cities.

Long Lake remained a combination of residential area and tourist destination for most of the 20th century, but the 1970s and 1980s saw the end of the lakeside rental cabin era. It is now completely residential.

Today, Long Lake is as beautiful as ever – probably more so, as recent development projects have given a needed facelift to its commercial district. It’s still a wonderful place to visit, and an even better place to call home.

City Offices

450 Virginia Avenue, PO Box 606
Long Lake, MN  55356
Phone: (952) 473-6961
Fax: (952) 476-9622

Departments

City Administrator: (952) 473-6961 x2
City Clerk: (952) 473-6961 x1
Public Works: (952) 476-2855

Fire Department

340 Willow Drive N, PO Box 606
Long Lake, MN  55356
Phone: (952) 473-9701
Fax: (952) 473-1710

Police Department

600 Rice Street E
Wayzata, MN  55391
Phone: (952) 404-5340
Fax: (952) 404-5359

Comments are closed.